Experienced in investigating the causes of damage, loss, and/or gathering evidence and/or expediting operations, wherever incidents occur, and he has a willingness to travel almost anywhere at short notice. Also provides expert evidence within his expertise. Will be providing law firms, insurers, ship owners and charterers with a professional, highly focused service.
- Attendance on site anywhere in the world to investigate the causes of damage, loss and/or delays, to gather evidence, or to expedite load or discharge in challenging circumstances. Provide technical support to local Surveyors and Correspondents
- Expert opinion for arbitration and court.
- Technical consultancy to assist with complex oil/cargo/bunker issues and/or claims.
- Lecturing & training
- Oil contaminations, oil losses, oil quantity disputes, oil measurement disputes, tank cleanliness disputes, tanker operations, oil cargo segregation, change over from black to white oils, sampling & gauging methods and practices, ship-to-ship transfers, oil terminal operational audits, oil pollution.
- Dry bulk cargoes
- Dry bulk cargo load & discharge supervision, investigation into wet damage in bulk cargoes, infestation & contamination of bulk cargo, bulk losses, draught surveys, and hold cleanliness disputes. Bulk cargo experience: wheat, barley, iron ore fines, cement (including cement clinker), coal, fertilizers, soya bean meal, scrap.
- MARPOL Annex VI compliance, ISO 8217 compliance issues, bunker quantity disputes, off specification issues, charterparty clauses, suppliers terms and conditions, fuel management, bunker claims, recoveries from off-spec bunkers, interpretation of analysis results.
- Master’s Degree (with Merit), Marine Cargo Damage Investigation, Middlesex University.
- Diploma in Marine Surveying.
- Deck Officer Class II (Chief Officer FG)
- Higher National Diploma in Nautical Science, Warsash College of Nautical Studies.
- Deck Officer Class III (Second Mate FG)
- Ordinary National Diploma in Nautical Science, South Shields Marine College.
- Owner/Consultant, personal company
- Part time consultant to DNV Petroleum Services Pte, Singapore, Oct 2009 to date
- DNV Petroleum Services – Customer Service Manager & Business Development Consultant, 2008 – 2009
- Consultant & Surveyor, Managing Director, CF Spencer & Co
- (incl 2003 – 2007 Licensed Pilot, Port of Bridgwater), 2000 – 2007
- Branch Manager, Division Manager, SGS South Africa Pty Ltd, 1995 – 2000
- Surveyor, Branch Manager, SGS Saudi Arabia Ltd (Jubail & Yanbu), 1987 – 1995
- Petroleum Inspector/Surveyor, SGS UK Ltd, 1984 – 1987
- Shell Tankers (UK) Ltd, Rowbotham Tankships, Cadet to Chief Officer,1976 – 1984
1. Oil related
- Oil Cargo Reconciliation & Voyage Analysis
- Petroleum Cargo Compatibility & Tank Cleaning
- Oil Measurement, Gauging & Sampling
- Oil Pollution – Contingency Planning & Response (MCA)
- Petroleum Tanker Safety Course
- Refrigerated Ship Surveying course
- Shipshape Training Course
- Marine Corrosion
1. Expert training
- Academy of Experts – Expert witness training
- Bond Solon – Expert witness training
- Accident Investigation – Cognitive Interview Techniques
- Fuel Oil Quality & Fuel Oil Treatment
- Bunker School (Lloyds Maritime Academy)
- Practical, Technical and Legal Aspects of Bunkering
- Effective Negotiating
- ISPS – Ship Security Officer / Company Security Officer (MCA Approved)
- “Train the Trainer” course
- Surveying Wooden Boats