Started his sea going career in 1955, culminating in the position of Marine Superintendent. He then went on to establish his own consultancy company. Personal company has been established in the field of Marine Surveying since 1984 and in Consultancy since 1989.
During the early 90’s he undertook several instructions from the legal profession and in 1995, with the amount of instructions increasing, he then registered his company with The Law Society as Expert Witness (checked). In 1996 he became a founder member of the Expert Witness Institute. Has acted for Ship Owners and/or Underwriters, P&I clubs, The Salvage Association and the Admiralty Marshal. Experienced with High Court and Arbitration cases and is able to offer expert advice and opinions on most types of cargoes and hull and machinery matters for both steam and motor vessels. Experienced in Superintendency and in the preparation of repair/dry-docking specifications for commercial and military vessels and in the repair of small pleasure craft and fishing vessels of both timber and GRP construction.
- 1st class combined Steamship and Motorship Certificate of Competency issued by the Board of Trade in London.
- Member of the Institute of Marine Engineers, Science and Technology.
- Fellow of the Society of Consulting Marine Engineers and Ship Surveyors.
- Registered with The Law Society in London as an Expert Witness
- Founder member of the Institute of Expert Witnesses (Marine)
- Independent Consultant Marine Surveyor and founder of Curtis Marine Ltd, 1984 – Present.
- Sea going career with several British Shipping Companies sailing on general cargo ships, passenger and Ro Ro vessels serving in progressive ranks from Junior to Chief Engineer Officer on both steam and motor ships. Held latter rank for nine years , culminating in position of Marine Superintendent., 1960 – 1984
- Marine Apprenticeship, 1955 – 1960
- Safe carriage of dangerous goods at sea
- Health and Safety of Life at Sea ( Safe working practices)
- Fire fighting
- First Aid