Error messageWarning: ini_set(): A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time in drupal_environment_initialize() (line 692 of /vservers/rti/includes/bootstrap.inc).
With more than twenty years of mechanical and aerospace engineering experience in space & defense programs as well as commercial & general aviation with a specialty in materials science.
Since 2010, he has been employed at a major General Aviation manufacturer as the Chief Engineer with responsibility for Liaison Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Materials & Processes (M&P) Engineering, Methods Engineering & Production Planning, Quality Engineering & Non-Destructive Evaluation (NDE), and Technical Training. In this capacity, he has participated in and led design and testing efforts for numerous systems present on pressurized aircraft, including doors and door mechanisms. He has been delegated by the FAA as an ODA Engineering Unit Member for all M&P areas, design & construction, service documents, interior flammability, and fire protection of all structural areas (wings, fuselage, & empennage), landing gear, flight controls, door systems, interior arrangements, and major repair/alterations. Serves as the technical authority on failure analyses of damaged hardware and supports air safety investigations for structure-related failures (including fatigue, corrosion, and environmental effects) as well as flammability issues.
Prior, he served 18 years on the Space Shuttle Program and served as the subsystem manager (SSM) of the Orbiter Leading Edge Structural Subsystem – including all reinforced carbon-carbon (RCC) heatshield components, their attachment, and internal insulation. As SSM, he approved the certification of flight readiness for 26 missions (STS-108 through STS-132). Actively involved in the STS-107 Space Shuttle Columbia accident investigation (including leading the wing leading edge reconstruction and over a hundred hours of expert testimonies) and the two-year return to flight effort. Prior to the SSM appointment, he supported the Space Shuttle Program as a Senior M&P Engineer where he acquired the proficiency with procurement, production, processing, testing, analysis, design, certification, assembly, inspection, and repair of all material types (metallics, ceramics, polymers, & composites). He supported the Shuttle Program for a total of 86 missions (STS-49 to STS-132). Earned the Advanced Level Systems Engineering certification from the largest aerospace manufacturer and has supported design and maintenance issues for structures and mechanical systems of a wide range of aircraft, spacecraft, and ground support equipment.
He is a licensed Florida professional engineer with Mechanical and Florida Building Code endorsements as well as NCEES Model Law Engineer Record and International Registry of Professional Engineers credentials. Additionally, he holds Professional Engineering Manager (PEM) and Engineering Management Certified Professional (EMCP) certifications. He developed curricula for five courses (metallic materials & processes, non-metallic materials & processes, aerospace structural fabrication, tests & measurements, and technical task analysis) and was an adjunct professor for these courses until the Space Shuttle Columbia mishap in 2003. In 2013, he was selected by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) as an ABET Program Evaluator for Mechanical Engineering and Systems Engineering and has performed program evaluations at Purdue University, the United States Air Force Academy, and the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Has a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, a M.S. in Aerospace Engineering (Structures & Materials), and is currently pursuing a Ph.D. in Aviation Science with his dissertation centered on aging aircraft, continued operational safety, and related problems facing the aviation industry. Also performs domestic and international consulting on materials and process solutions/opportunities in a wide variety of markets and is exclusive to the RTI Group for forensic engineering consultations.
- Kansas State University – Division of Continuing Education, 2007
- Advanced Graduate Certificate, Materials Science and Engineering, May 2000
- Master of Science, Aerospace Engineering, May 2000
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology – College of Engineering,1993
- RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, April 2015 to present
- Private Aircraft Company, Vero Beach, FL, Specialist Engineer & Senior Manager, 2010 to present
- Cognolink, Ltd., United Kingdom, Specialist Consultant, 2011 to present
- The Boeing Company, Integrated Defense Systems – NASA Systems, Kennedy Space Center, Florida, Subsystem Manager, 2001 to 2010
- The Boeing Company, Integrated Defense Systems – NASA Systems, Kennedy Space Center, Florida, Senior Materials & Processes Engineer, 1992 to 2001
- Brevard Community College, Spaceport Center, Kennedy Space Center, Florida, Adjunct Professor, Aerospace Programs, 2001 to 2003
- ICI Americas, Inc., Fluoropolymers Division, Bayonne, New Jersey, Project Engineering Associate, 1989 to 1990
Professional Associations and Activities
- Employee Leadership Team – sole engineer appointed by Piper Aircraft employees, September 2013
- Acting Integrated Team Manager – Boeing Thermal Systems/M&P (28 Engineers), Aug-Oct 2009
- Leaders for the Future – Boeing Florida Class 1A, August 2009 – March 2010
- E-Mentor – American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2009 to present
- MAE Advisory Board Chair – Florida Institute of Technology, 2005-2007
- Introducing Girls to Engineering Volunteer – Society of Women Engineers, 2005 to 2010
- Boeing Pre-Management Assessment Process (PMAP) – Management Qualified, November 2000
- Florida Tech Alumni Association – Undergraduate Lecturer and Career Consultant, 1996 to current
- National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE), 2000 to current
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 1991 to current
- American Society of Engineering Managers (ASEM), 2010 to current
- Florida Tech Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Industry Advisory Board, 2005 to current
- Active LinkedIn Professional Network: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MPGpe